1) Respect the labor of everyone whose work contributed to the meal
2) Commit good deeds worthy of sharing in the meal
3) Arrive at the table without any negative feelings toward others
4) Eat in order to achieve spiritual and physical well-being
5) Be dedicated to the pursuit of enlightment
Now I can’t say that I follow these five rules, although I’d like to think that, at any one moment, without really thinking about it, I’m generally following two or three. Unless we're making pizzas -- for which my wife is primarily responsible -- then I'm closer to five of five.