May 16, 2011

A Good Dinner

Had a single NY strip steak -- grass-fed, from Ron Gargasz farm, via McGinnis Sisters -- and some Point Reyes bleu cheese. So chose to make a steak salad.

It was, I can say with confidence, a good decision -- even if the picture from my Droid doesn't quite live up to that description.

Nothing too fancy about this. Arugula was the green. Thinly sliced some red onion, lightly carmelized. Sauteed some shitake mushrooms, cooked 'til tender.

Standard balsamic vinaigrette, but used an aged balsamic, which I think you need to hold up to grass-fed meat.

Coated the steak in a rub of fresh oregano, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, olive oil. Seared in cast-iron and finished in the stove.

Accompanied the salad with a Pinot Noir, which I guess you usually wouldn't do -- at least I think -- but I thought it worked. Tasted good to me! The wine was also a good accompaniment for the desert of a salted caramel from Edward Marc.

No comments: