March 14, 2011

Best. Cocktail. Evah!

Finally made it to Toast Kitchen & Wine Bar this weekend. An enjoyable meal.

The shrimp & grits lived up its billing. My wife's rib eye (really just 3 slices of one) was quite fantastic. Maybe a five-spice based rub? My tempura wild-striped bass was good. Kind of an odd dish, paired with creamed greens, a dilled orzo, and some (delectable) horseradish infused tomato thing I'd liken to a chutney, I guess. The tomato component made the dish. I always tried to get a little bit of everything in every bite. The horseradish tied everything together, although not necessarily neatly. Overall, I'd say the dish needs to be revisited.

The bread pudding also lived up to its billing, as did the wine selection. I had seen complaints about the cost of the wine, but because you get a little carafe, you almost get 1.5 glasses for the price, which made my $9 Primitivo a downright bargain.

But for me, the star of the evening was our pre-dinner cocktail at Round Corner Cantina: the "Red Pepper, Red Pepper." I'd had it at our previous trip to Round Corner last year. If possible, it was even better this time.


And the title of this post is no exaggeration. It is the best cocktail I've ever had.

  • Tequila
  • chartreuse
  • Elderflower liquer
  • lemon
  • basil
  • pepper

With a dried chile floating on top. Wish I had taken a picture of it. Beyond the taste -- which lingers in your mouth, the heat, the herbs, the fresh -- it's a beautiful drink: greenish yellow, flecks of basil relaxing below the coarse red dried chile.


I dislike the term "mixologist," but those two tall lasses at Round Corner do understand how to mix a superb drink. Bravo, ladies.

No comments: